Favorites

Monday, December 5, 2016

Enthrall Secrets by Vanessa Fewings- Audiobook Review

Enthrall Secrets (Within Enthrall, #2)Enthrall Secrets by Vanessa Fewings
My rating: 3 of 5 stars
Story overall: 3 stars
Narration: 2.5 stars

If you have read the Enthrall series, you will likely enjoy this installment more than if you haven't. Here we get the back story for Scarlet. We get to learn about some of the formative events that lead her to be the successful dominatrix we met in the earlier books.

I did struggle to put together the images we get of Scarlet in the Enthrall series with the Scarlet we get to know here. There is a lot of whimsical decisions, and a lot of erratic behavior being exhibited by someone who is purported to be an expert in power and control

I was engaged in this story enough to want to see what happened next, and there were definitely some very touching moments. However, I found myself rolling my eyes at times at some of the hyperbolic language and instant attachments formed by these characters. The whole "I've never been this in love in my whole life" after knowing a character for less than a day thing got to be a bit much. I tried to suspend my disbelief, and just enjoy the character's relationships to one another, but it was difficult at times.

I think fans of this series will enjoy spending more time with these characters and learning more about them. I don't think that readers new to this series would be hooked by starting with this one.

For audiobook listeners:
The narration was tough for me. With audiobooks, what I really want it to become engrossed in the story and forget about the narrator. I was aware of the narrator throughout this story. Her annunciation and inflection made me constantly aware that this was being read to me and I felt that her general tone and voice didn't match what I imagined for Scarlet. Oddly, I thought her best voice work was that of Danton and then Ethan.


No comments:

Post a Comment