Favorites

Sunday, February 16, 2014

Me Before You by Jo Jo Moyes: Audiobook Review!

Me Before YouMe Before You by Jojo Moyes
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This is a book that was on my TBR list for quite a while. I kept getting strong encouragements to read it, but held back because I knew it would be a book that would get me feeling and sometimes it is hard to go into something knowing it might be a little intense. I am so glad that I finally experienced this book and know these characters.

I don't want to talk much about the plot because I feel like going in with a lot of encouragement, but without much of an idea of what the book was about was really great. Louisa goes into her situation with no idea of what she was getting herself into and it really helped me connect to her since we were experiencing everything together. I became engaged in this story quickly, and one of the things I found completely fascinating was that even during periods where the main character was doing something tedious or experiencing a lot of boredom, all of those feelings were clearly relayed but in a way that never left me feeling disconnected. I like that this book brings up problems that don't have clear solutions and cause the reader (or listener) to examine their own beliefs while learning and understanding the points of view of each character. This book is charming, and witty, and wonderful. I adored the lovable dysfunction of Louisa's family, especially her relationship with her sister who was simultaneously a primary source of her frustration and anger as well as her closest confidant and a strong support. Relationships in real life are challenging, and complex and all of the relationships we experience in this book feel real and easily elicited a strong emotional response from me. I was totally engrossed throughout this entire story and would highly recommend it to everyone I know.

The performance is fantastic and the multiple narrators really bring each character life. Each narrator completely fit with my idea of what that character would sound like, and added to the real feel of the story. I think listening to the audiobook version of this was a wonderful way to experience it.

Link to book on Audible.com


No comments:

Post a Comment